The John King workshop museum and research centre
John King with his wife in 1879. (From the book, The life story of John King & The mine cage safety detaching hook invention)
John King in the 1860′s invented the mine cage safety detaching hook. Still manufactured today and is fitted to the majority of winding ropes of deep mines of all kinds throughout the world. It has been responsible for saving the lives of countless miners.
A blue plague will be erected in the spring.
The Museum is on Victoria rd, Pinxton, Nottinghamshire. Open from March to November on Sundays 2pm to 4.30pm. Dedicated to the industrial, social & family history of Pinxton and South Normanton, and particularly John King & his invention of the mines cage safety detaching hook. The museum keeps records of any historic event, news papers, old photos and mining memorabilia.
The museum are always looking for new items and anything you might think of as rubbish or scrap could be a great find for the museum .
Chairman: D Deneley, Secretary: N Taylor 01773-810122, Treasurer: S Sterland.